Saturday, August 1, 2009

Day 1 & 2

Day 1:

We landed, we went through passport control, collected our baggage and dog (who really had to go, really really), and headed toward customs. We paid CHF 80 at customs as an animal entry tax. We exited customs into the airport lobby and we were greeted by our relocation agent, Barbara. Barbara is awesome, and I am exceptionally grateful for her being assigned to us by my employer.

She puts the kennel into the back of her rented station wagon while Kris and Bear find a private spot where he can take care of his business. I pack 8 bags, 2 kids, and myself into a mini-van-sized taxi (CHF 100). Barbara takes Kris and Bear. We drive to the new apartment, drop off all the bags. At this point, I'm feeling the lack of sleep, the time change, and the Swiss love for exercise.

Rather than napping, we all get back into Barbara's car (including Bear), and drive to the Rueschlikon town hall to register (at the Kreisburo). We must do this at the time of our arrival, before we do anything else. It is the rule. Each of us have to a have an extra passport photo, which we prepared in Connecticut. We used these photos on our travel visas in NYC, and they are now embedded into our passports.

The Kreisburo official tells us only my photo will work for this very official registration. I am only half smiling, with of course the look of omg-I-have-to-live-in-Switzerland. Kris, Sarah, and Gus are all smiling happily, showing their teeth and their happiness to be moving to Europe. The official explains to us these photos are not acceptable because the Swiss government cannot accept people who are laughing at them in their photos. If I'd only known...

We pay our CHF 450 in whatever fees to this lovely office. I guess it includes a pet registration tax. But we still must provide three more photos. We proceed to the local bahnhof (train station) where there is a cheesy photo booth. We pay CHF 8 per person to have our new photos. Gus has a look of utter shock and surprise. Kris has a look of "I just traveled overnight, slept only 4 hours, and haven't brushed my teeth" for her new photo. Sarah's is quite cute and reusable. We go back to the Kreisburo, hand in our photos to complete the proces.

We then walk to Die Banc (UBS) to open an account. They inform us that all Americans must open an account at the central quarters, conveniently located at the airport. Oh well. We'll try this some other time. Instead we walk next door to Die Post, to pick up our Cabelcom items for Internet, phone, and cable box. I walk back to the car and drop off the box. Kris, Sarah, Gus, and Bear walk to Migros, the local grocery store. Bear is allowed to go anywhere except for places where food is being sold. Even some restaurants will allow dogs in. They haven't met Bear yet. I guess here, the German speaking dogs understand the importance of discipline. Bear and I wait outside while Kris, the kids, and Barbara go shopping. Only Kris knows how much she spent. She won't share that with me for some reason. They drive back to the apartment while I get the opportunity to walk with Bear, all the way back. Had I known that we could leave, not sure I would have stayed, waiting with a thirsty dog in the sun.

Barbara leaves us at the apartment, to return later in the evening. Kris and I shower. I have to become used to the idea that I'm using something called gel-douche, and that it's ok to be rubbing this on my body. I also have to get used to the idea that each cleansing product looks the same blue hue, smells the same, but is somehow formulated to be different for hair and one's body, and is packaged and labeled differently, in German. Or maybe this was just Kris' choice at the Migros.

Since our belongings don't arrive until Wednesday at exactly 3pm, and we have nothing to cook with or eat on, Barbara offers to bring over a few things until we receive our stuff. Barbara returns with these things in the evening, and then takes Kris shopping again somewhere. I don't know where since Gus, Bear, and I stayed behind. Kris returns with more stuff we'll give away at the end of my assignment.

Kris decides we need to eat at Au Gratin's, across from the main train station. We arrive at 10pm, return by midnight, to find that one does NOT leave the lights on if the windows are cracked. The moths were plentiful.

Day 2:

I am awakened at 7:15am to guns or fireworks. Not sure. I close the windows and go back to sleep. All of us sleep until noon. Today is Swiss National Day. Nothing is open. All of the boats that exist in Zurich are on the lake. Kris takes Bear for a walk on the lake. She returns to find me, Gus, and Sarah eating Coco Krispies out of coffee cups. Her frustration is visible because she had a European breakfast in mind she wanted to prepare... of scrambled eggs, fresh cherries, sliced bananas, soft cheese, bread, and ice-cube-free diet coke. We eat breakfast. The eggs are a little over-salted. The kids give their eggs to Bear.

We unpack, move stuff around. My new favorite phrase: "Has anyone seen my _________?"

Later, we will go watch whatever is in store for Swiss National Day, and spend more money on food.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully scripted for a reality show! LOL! You must post photos on here as you share these lovely stories....not that i don't already have a few images in mind!

    ReplyDelete