Sunday, November 8, 2009

Öh Fünf

Learning a new language is one of the most frustrating tasks I have attempted. I don't learn languages well. I'm just not wired this way. My mouth doesn't make the sounds that others make. When I try to speak in German, I am constantly asked "What did you say?" but in English.

The umlaut sounds mess me up completely. The word "five" in German is "fünf". It's a funny sound for an American to try to pronounce. There are too many compressed little sounds in one word to sound comfortable saying it. To an "only-English" speaker, the umlaut u has a bit of an r sound in it, if one can closely catch it. To hear Five hundred fifty-five spoken in German gives me a giggle.

1 comment:

  1. haha.you said it..
    Its pretty hard and fun to learn new languages..
    the tongue never understands our intentions.
    I heard the Chinese (mandarin)is the hardest language to master.

    I had seen some German movies(With sub titles ) of course. Its..yeah..really alien to me.

    Ny way..happy learning :)

    ReplyDelete