Thursday, August 12, 2010

McDonald's

I grew up having a very different emotional response to McDonald's than I have today. I was curious what kind of emotional response a Swiss would have to this. After all, I am attempting to fit in. What is the view of an American corporation attempting to fit in? I asked two Swiss colleagues.

me: Have you seen the McDonald's ads?
1: Ha. Yes.
me: And? What do you think?
1: (sigh) A typical American's thinking... They come here, act like they're Swiss, expect to change us and everything around us.
me: (pause) Oh.
1: (pause) Oh, I mean no disrespect to you. I had actually forgotten to whom I was speaking.

Maybe another opinion might help normalize this first impression.

me: Have you seen the McDonald's ads?
2: Ha. Yes.
me: And? Does it give you any particular emotion?
2: Emotional? Not me, not particularly. I mean I eat there once in a while when I want something fast. But they aren't the first to say they are using local ingredients or local products. Starbucks even says they use Swiss coffee machines in Switzerland.
me: I see. I asked another Swiss person this same question, and it almost sounded anti-American.
2: Well, when the Iraqi war started, lots of people stopped going to McDonald's, Burger King, and Starbucks. Then they came up with these ads to say they aren't just American but they're also Swiss. Pretty clever.

I'm Swiss.

1 comment:

  1. Hello. I was wondering if you would permit me to borrow the picture you have taken in this post, with a proper credit back to your blog? I had a post I wanted to do in conjunction with this campaign, but then I went on holidays and McD's started a new campaign. Bummer. If you could please let me know, I would appreciate it :-) Thanks. My email is acaitslife@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete