Sunday, September 13, 2009

1970s

Three years ago, one of my first complaints to a colleague about the locale of my new Swiss employer (through an acquisition) was that there was an underlying theme of 1970s. Not so much in fashion or styles as Zurich is at the forefront here, but more toward conservative business practices. They agreed, but through the eyes of their perspective. This colleague was an American female. I've also learned that once a person declares something, whether or not disputed, there is much energy spent collecting evidence to support such a declaration. I admit the following is my collecting evidence to support wild generalizations and skewed observations. Please read it as such, and not a political view.

Americans are seen by the rest of the world as being excessively litigious. Of course, there are good sides and bad sides. One of my Swiss colleagues described a family member enduring medical procedure horrors, with no satisfying recourse. Here, it is understood that people make their own decisions, and therefore accept the consequences. Social medicine here is wonderful when it works well, and can be very painful when it doesn't. I have lots of friends and a few relatives who are attorneys. Even Americans recognize the craziness of litigation practices, and most know a good lawyer joke. The Swiss seem far more self-controlled, self-governed, visible pride about knowing and following the rules so that order for each is respected. Fairness for all seems a core value, even if to me fairness is an illusion granted by those who have control of a system. For now, living among them, I like this. At some point, I can sense I may find myself a victim without recourse, and will then complain about injustice.

Women in the corporate world in Switzerland also face many challenges that America seems to have addressed since the 1970s. Daycare is rare and very difficult to find. The public school system sends children home for lunches, making a cohesive workday impossible. There is a spoken belief that mothers are to care for their children. Equality in pay, still an issue in America, seems also to be a recent issue here. At least in government, more women are becoming visible. But it is still very noticeable when looking around the ranks in conservative corporations. I can imagine my female colleagues feel privileged and accomplished to be where they are in strong positions, but also see the challenges in working with the male networks, the systems in place that have worked for generations, and still being able to further their goals and experiences.

Sexual harassment, a behavior changer in America, also has a view here tied to both litigation and American awkwardness in courting. Here, men can openly comment on the beauty of a local woman in the office, joke about being a blond, discuss openly the chances of winning the affection of a female colleague to enhance the success of a project. They are deathly fearful of doing the same while in America, so they know the difference. "La bise", or greeting with a series of cheek kisses, is a custom performed locally, 3 for close, 2 for acquainted, including during office greetings. I was recently described as "shy" for not respecting this custom, and while I attempted it my first time with friends two evenings ago, there was still an internal reaction which broadcasted my American awkwardness. I am still shy because I have been wired this way.

My 11 year old daughter brought these home the other day. She loves to spend her francs on candy.

kris: Ohhh, these remind me of Ava and the 5 and Dime. I would take a quarter and come back with a bag of candy.
me: When was that?
kris: I was just a little girl, maybe 4 or 5. Everybody in Ava was smoking real ones, I would smoke these.
me: So, the '70s?

My first reaction to seeing these was a parent's reaction to finding real ones with their child. It was an overreaction of course, but it led me to wonder more about the cigarette companies, and how their profits are largely made from non-Americans. Tort law just isn't the same here... yet. I have to wonder if it is something to come as our local cultures continue to mix, merge, mash-up, or if litigation as a means for justice satisfaction will be resisted. Anyway, the gum sucks, just like it did when I bought it in the 1970s.

No comments:

Post a Comment